I got a few requests to make a tutorial on this fondant guitar that I had made for a birthday cake. Its very simple to make and I’ve posted a detailed tutorial here.
You will need to make this a couple of days ahead or at least the previous day since it needs time to dry.
You will need:
- Two printed pictures of a guitar coloring page of your choice. You can easily find it on google images. Make sure that you resize it before you print. In the example I have resized it to 5 cm.
- Fondant : Lemon size base color ( I’ve used blue since I already made a red guitar) . A little bit of black, white and grey.
- Tylose powder( omit if you are using gumpaste)
- Craft knife
- Silver dust powder
- Brush for the dust powder
- A palette knife
- Fondant extruder/ garlic press ( omit if you don’t want to make strings)
- Edible glue or water
- Rolling pinMethod:
1.Mix some tylose powder with all the colors and set aside.
3. Roll out the base color of fondant to about 1/6th of an inch thick. Place the cut out of the guitar on the fondant, making sure that it doesn’t move and carefully cut out the outline. Be careful not to stretch the fondant.
Tip: If the fondant tends to stretch too much , just leave the rolled out fondant to air out a bit and then cut.
4.Remove the paper and then smooth the sides with your finger. Carefully lift it with your palette knife and set aside.
5. Take a bit of white and black fondant and cut out the other parts of the guitar as below
7.With the back of your craft knife, gently make indents for the frets. Try and get at least 12-14 frets( sections on the black part) . If possible , put little white dots on the 3rd , 5th, 7th and 12th fret. ( Just a little detail that makes it more real)
8. Now to add some details. Make small parts from grey. 6 tiny balls for the tuning keys, 1 part to hold the strings and 3 small parts for the body. Please refer to the pictures below to see how to make them. Remember that they are really small, smaller than a green pea.
9. Use the fondant extruder or a garlic press to make the strings. (You can leave out the strings if you want) .
10. Place all the grey parts on a kitchen paper and dust them silver to give it a lovely shine.
You can’t place all six strings on the guitar and thats why I have some broken strings .Place all the parts on the guitar and its done!!! Leave it to dry over night or better for 24 hours and place it upright as a cake topper.
NOTE: Ooops! I forgot to add the volume and tone buttons( the three little white ones) to the blue guitar. Refer to the picture of the red guitar at the top of this page if you’d like to add the detail.